Just to let you know who I am and what I have achieved over the years...
I am a qualified electronics engineer. I ran the development laboratory at Telkor in Luipaardsvlei (South Africa) when Telkor supplied ground-to-air communications equipment to Armscor and the Civil Aviation Authority.
I have been a Novell networking partner since Novell was 'king' in the networking market. During which time I designed a version of remote PC monitoring/assistance software, operating on a network for Centre Group.
I wrote a 'through printer driver' for a SCO unix client who ran PC's as terminals on a unix system. Thus began my long association with unix now linux. I provide linux servers for a country wide company system. I have been involved with linux since the days of it running on a 80386.
I provided A+ & Barefoot Engineer Training at Whitehead Morris Seminars (Randburg) for seven years.
I helped build INET into the company which competed very successfully against Reuters. INET was a joint partnership of Times Media & Ivor Jones (Institution Analysts on the JSE). It became INET / Bridge and supplies the SABC and other traders with JSE figures and financial news.
I have built servers and networks of a highly reliable nature which provide 100% up-time.
I designed and built electronic attachments for the PC as well as communications interfaces for networks.
I have used Microsoft development tools since the early days of the PC. With them I have developed utility programs that check hardware and transfer data reliably.
I can program in C & C++, Assembler (Z80/8080 & 80x86 & PIC), BASIC & QBasic & Visual Basic.
I have built HR, payroll and 'work flow' systems for corporate customer requirement that function over a wide area network.
This used an 'off-line' data capture program, written by me because the internal IT department web on-line system was so slow to respond and unreliable.
This 'BatchCap' program uploaded the verified and validated data either by email, ftp or directly into MySQL.
Managerial reports sent by email to the line managers for approval were automatically generated by the payroll administrator.
J B C S [Established 1987 as a Close Corporation]
Originally I set the company up as a hardware and software development company, hoping to have the functions in equal quantity. It has never run like that. Some months I have been entirely software and some entirely hardware. I have never needed to advertise my services, as most of our clients have stayed with us and existing clients have referred new ones.
I have a great many colleagues and friends in the industry, some of whom have been co-opted to support the work on larger projects.
JBCS provides the following services:
- Thanks to my electronics background with design and testing to Armscor standards, we have been able to produce extremely reliable hardware. Through the testing of equipment before delivery to the customer, we have gained a reputation for supply of custom set-up computer systems that rarely fail. Such customers have been system developers such as Inet, a stock market trading and news company. Over the last five years or more, we have supplied clients special computer desktop systems in moderate quantities to such companies as Legalwise and Lancet Laboratories. We no longer provide on site primary support but will assist clients to set up and run their own internal support department.
- We have been commissioned to provide unique software solutions for networking and for interfacing high-level languages to assembler. An example of this was the writing of a network-monitoring package to allow a lecturer to interact with individual students via the network.
- We can also provide hardware design capability in areas of access control, time and attendance, environmental control units and in-card modems.
- Specialised communications software for unattended overnight file transfer, Beltel and terminal emulation programs and remote support software. We have supplied modems and PC to mainframe links using either coax or RS232.
- Network design, installation and commissioning with full costing of two major types of network, NOVELL and Microsoft Windows. We will supply all requirements, hardware and software and provide training for operating the network.
John Brock Computing Services
[Helping people with "computer problems" since 1987]